stuffed spaghetti squash
If cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right...
The beauty of this? You’re not eating pasta, but it definitely tastes like you could be. And it's not even loaded with cheese- just 1.5 cups in the entire recipe which can serve 2-4 people depending on your appetite and the size of the squash.
Stuff it with WHATEVER your heart desires. This recipe would have been delicious with some ground turkey (browned with shallots) however, I decided to go vegetarian this time around. What do you like to stuff your spaghetti squash with?
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (I make several slits in the squash first, then microwave it whole for 5-6 minutes on high to soften it up before cutting in half. You can de-seed the squash before, or after cooking. Sometimes I wait until after it is baked so it is easier to scoop out, but I have done it both ways)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Approximately 1.5 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your spaghetti squash. Once halved, place face down on foil-lined baking/cookie sheet. Cook for 50-60 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash broccolini and chop into small pieces. Add to a small pan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir and wait until cooked through. Remove from heat and pour everything into a large bowl
Take it out of the oven, flip it over and let it cool on the stove. Once cooled, remove the seeds if you have not already.
Use a fork to scrape out the “spaghetti” from the squash into the large bowl that contains the broccolini. Keep the shells!
Turn oven up to 450 degrees
Add 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and stir. If the squash looks dry, add some olive oil here.
Divide everything in the bowls amongst the two shells of squash on top of the foil lined baking sheet. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Cook in the oven until cheese is melted/browned and squash is warmed through. Enjoy!