turkey sloppy joes
Because sometimes, you just want to get sloppy.
Oh sloppy joes, reminds me of my childhood days. I mean, who doesn't love a good overflowing joe at one point in their life. I decided to take a healthy spin on these bad boys using ground turkey instead of ground beef, and a whole wheat english muffin instead of a bulky sandwich roll. I also tried to fill it with veggies! Try this one out!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery heart, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning (you can use BBQ Bourbon, Montreal steak, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16oz can plain tomato sauce (not pasta sauce- find it where canned tomatoes are)
- A few dashes of tobasco/hot sauce, because why not
- English Muffins
Mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, steak seasoning, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a large skillet, add onions, peppers and celery with small amount of olive oil. Once soft, add the ground turkey. When the meat is browned, add the BBQ sauce to the meat and vegetable mixture. Cook until heated throughout. Serve over tasted bread of your choice. #getsloppy